Thomas Frank on YouTube “How to Focus Your Priorities and Narrow Down Your Interests – College Info Geek” really struck a chord in me. I look up tips and tricks for focus and productivity, but this video really helped me understand what I was doing wrong.
He talks about a story about Warren Buffet’s advice on prioritizing success. Basically, you make a list of the top 25 things you want to do. Now make another list of the top 5, from that list, you want to do most.
One might assume you focus on the top 5, putting aside the rest for later, but the advice is that you don’t- you avoid the rest at all cost. It distracts you from those top 5 things.
This was serendipitous for me since I’ve had issues focusing and having too much to do, then not doing anything. I’ve been cutting back on meetings, events, and things that don’t serve me in the long run.
I’ll be posting more in the way of current events, but in the meantime, this is what I’ve done lately;
- Compiled and published a Writer’s Planner, which is for sale for $2.99. This is for printing, cutting out, and adding to any composition notebook to create a planner.
- Updated my sharonpoffinber.com web site by switching from a paid hosting to Weebly (free). Streamlined the pages and what I’ve added.
- Played a lot of Dragon Age Inquisition on Xbox 360.
- Skipped Halloween/Samhain this year after being sick for so long. It worked out because we didn’t get the crowds of trick-or-treaters we did in past years.
- Had a falling out with a friend/client over a misunderstanding. I doubt it will work out. You live and learn.
- Put off publishing the Writer’s Group anthology until later this month. I’ll post more about this later.
- Made myself a planner from a composition book. Looks good and functions great. This includes a calendar, charts to track writing, blogging, exercise, and business. It is designed for only a month, though.